Future Proofing Your Choice Of Home
A house is a major purchase so it makes sense to ensure it meets your lifestyle needs both now and into the future.
- What size section to you need?
- Is there room for children’s play equipment?
- Do you have the time to spend on a lovely big garden?
- Do you like gardening?
- How many bedrooms do you want/need?
- Where are the closest shops/dairy?
- Where is the nearest bus stop?
- What are the schools like in the area?
- Will the children need to change schools?
- Is the house on a busy road?
- Are there lots of steps to and in the house?
- Is there room for personal space for teenagers and their parents?
- Where is the nearest park/playground?
- How many bathrooms do you want/need?
Think about your needs in five to ten years time and how they may change in that time.
- Family size – more children, children becoming teenagers, children leaving home
- Physical capabilities – getting older, frail, loss of driver’s licence
Other considerations include:
- Potential for extension for the house
- Good sun
- Off street parking and garaging – how many vehicles need garaging?
- Close to work place
- Type of heating/cooking you prefer – gas, electrical, log fire
- Low/easy maintenance
- Your ability to do maintenance jobs yourself – painting and renovations
- The overall tone of the neighbourhood
Once you have an idea of your needs in a house and what your priorities are, now and in the future this will assist you in choosing the house of your dreams.